PhilaVax Immunization Information System
PhilaVax is the City of Philadelphia’s Immunization Information System (IIS), formerly known as KIDS Plus IIS. This system is maintained by the Philadelphia Department of Public Health and allows health care providers to access patient immunization records. With this system, providers can vaccinate patients according to recommended schedules and avoid over- or under-vaccinating patients.
The registry is populated using birth data from the state and immunization data submitted by health care providers. A city health regulation requires all providers with practices in Philadelphia County to report immunizations given to all persons.
PhilaVax is secure and HIPAA compliant. The registry is protected through SSL encryption to ensure the data is safe and secure. Only authorized users are given access to the system, and all users must sign a confidentiality and security statement before they may use or access registry data.
The benefits of PhilaVax
PhilaVax is a valuable public health tool and is one of the reasons why Philadelphia’s immunization coverage rates are among the highest in the nation. Benefits of this tool include:
- Providers can use PhilaVax to easily find out which immunizations an individual has already received. This can be especially valuable when an individual has been to more than one provider.
- Providers can use PhilaVax to determine which immunizations an individual needs on the day of a visit as well as the vaccines they are recommended to receive in the future.
- Individuals who are not up-to-date on their immunizations can be identified and targeted for outreach. The Philadelphia Department of Public Health’s Immunization Program contracts with a community-based organization to find under-immunized individuals and bring them to care.
Independence Blue Cross encourages all of our network providers to take advantage of this valuable program and to take all the necessary steps to keep the people of Philadelphia immunized and healthy.
For more information
- For additional information about this system, please visit the PhilaVax page at vax.phila.gov.
- For immunization information for an individual living in Philadelphia, call the PhilaVax Hotline at 215-685-6784.