Who We Are
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurer in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our subsidiaries, we serve more than 7.5 million people in 19 states. For over 75 years, we have boldly led the way in changing how health care is delivered and have been an economic engine in our region. Our priority is to maintain the health of our members and contribute to the overall well-being of our community.
A licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
IBC is an independent, local organization. IBC is also an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. This structure allows us to offer our members the best of both worlds: a community focus paired with the stability of the most recognized and trusted health insurance brand and the strength of the nation’s most comprehensive health services network. In fact, nationwide, 90% of hospitals and 80% of doctors contract with Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® companies.
At IBC, our mission is to help enhance the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve. We live this mission every day through our focus on increasing access to quality health care and delivering value through our products and services. Our products include:
- coverage for large employer groups and small businesses;
- a range of affordable plans for individuals and families who foot the full cost of insurance on their own;
- portable benefits for students who need coverage at home, on campus, and even abroad;
- guaranteed-coverage plans that are available to everyone, regardless of preexisting conditions;
- Medicare supplemental products;
- low-income health plans such as Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and Special CareSM.
Our national health business includes administration of self-funded groups, network access arrangements, claims processing, and other services on behalf of the 38 other independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans across the nation.
In addition, our subsidiaries provide specialty services and products including third-party benefits administration, pharmacy benefits management services, and workers’ compensation insurance.