- Business Transformation
- Policies & Guidelines
- Claims and Billing
- Tools and Resources
- Pharmacy Information
- Resources for Patient Management
- Contact Us
Direct Ship Injectables Program Specialty injectable medications delivered to your doorstep
The Independence Blue Cross (IBC) Direct Ship Injectables Program facilitates the shipment and precertification (as required) of injectable medications such as Synvisc®, Hyalgan®, Lupron®, Zoladex®, and other injectable drugs that are not commonly stocked in a physician’s office.
Note: Items that are not available through this program include most vaccines, antibiotics, chemotherapy, vitamin B-12 injections, and drugs administered by infusion or routinely obtained by the physician at a relatively low cost.
This voluntary program is available for all of your patients who have their medical benefits through an IBC managed care program.
Please refer to the following information about the Direct Ship Injectables Program:
- Drug requests. Complete and fax the appropriate request form (see below) to 215–761–9165 along with a valid prescription. You may also submit the request electronically using the NaviNet® web portal. Certain medications require prior authorization. For these medications, the request form will also serve as your prior authorization request.
- Shipment. Medications are shipped to the specified address 2 – 5 business days after the IBC Pharmacy Services department receives the completed request.
- Billing. The injectable distributor bills IBC directly, eliminating the need for you to bill for reimbursement of the drug.
- Refills. Ordered refills are automatically shipped out at the appropriate time. You will not need to complete any additional paperwork.
- Quantity limits. For agents such as Synvisc® and Hyalgan®, quantities are limited to the amount required for one complete course of therapy. Quantities for all other injectables will be evaluated to promote appropriate prescribing.
- Benefits coverage. Drugs obtained through the program are subject to the member’s contract exclusions and medical necessity review.
- Preferred brands. Certain injectable drugs have been identified as preferred brands based on their cost–effectiveness to the plan and are highlighted in bold below. Choosing one of these preferred brands does not affect the member’s cost–sharing for the drug.
Please note that the forms below are only for drugs covered under the medical benefit. Injectable drugs listed in bold indicate preferred brands. Choosing one of these preferred brands does not affect the member’s cost–sharing for the drug.
- Direct Ship Injectables Request Form (general form for agents not listed below)
- Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agents
- Botulinum toxins (Botox®, Dysport®, Myobloc®)
- Makena™ (17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate)
- Psoriasis agents (Stelara®)
- Synagis® (palivizumab)
- Viscosupplementation (hyaluronate acid products) (Orthovisc®, Synvisc®, Synvisc–One®, Euflexxa®, Gel-One ®, Supartz®, and Hyalgan® )
- Xolair® (omalizumab)
For more information, please contact Customer Service at 1–800–ASK–BLUE.
NaviNet® is a registered trademark of NaviNet, Inc., an independent company.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans.