- Find a Plan
- Find a Doctor
- IBX App
- IBX Wire
- Get Connected
- Manage Your Account
- Payment Options
- Health News
- Wellness and Member Perks
- Healthy Families and Kids
- Medical Policy
- Preventive Care Services
- Pharmacy Services
- Specialty Medical Benefit Drugs
- Precertification and Cost-Share Requirements
- Quality Management Program
- Transparency in Coverage
- Health Insurance Basics
Ask for Generics — An Easier Pill to Swallow
Generic prescription drugs are a money-saving, effective alternative to brand-name prescription drugs. A generic drug is similar in composition to its brand-name counterpart and is used to treat the identical health condition.
Facts about generic drugs:
- They are safe and effective.
- They can cost up to 70 percent less than brand-name drugs.
- They have the same active ingredients as their brand-name equivalents.
- They treat the same health conditions as their brand-name equivalents.
- They meet the same rigorous health and safety standards set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Save Money With Your IBX Prescription Drug Plan
Make the Switch Today
If you would like to try the generic equivalent of your brand-name prescription medication, simply talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can tell you if there is one that is right for you. You can also look for generic equivalents to your current medication on our online drug formulary.
No generic equivalent?
You can still save money with generic therapeutic alternatives.
Learn More About Generics
Pharmacy costs continue to rise, but making the switch to generic drugs is an easy step you can take to minimize the amount you spend on your medications. The following PDFs provide more information on the value of generic drugs: