Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes Prevention Kit
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans, and Independence Blue Cross recognize the physician’s critical role in motivating patients to be healthier. To support you in your efforts, we encourage you to download the materials in this toolkit to help you confront the obesity epidemic with your pediatric patients between ages 2 and 18. Both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Diabetes Association were instrumental in developing the toolkit.
The toolkit, available in both English and Spanish, contains materials to help you manage your pediatric patients during office visits, including:
- physician tools and resources that provide you with key assessment and diagnosis information; Physician Guidelines
- color-coded BMI charts that can be used to help educate patients. BMI Charts
The toolkit also offers educational materials to help parents and patients make healthier choices, including:
- a brochure about the implications of childhood obesity; English | Spanish
- posters with healthy tips from the Good Health ClubSM that parents and children can read while they’re in your office or waiting room.
- take-home materials for patients and parents to track progress towards healthier choices, such as:
- healthy tips sheets (segmented by age), which help you set goals with your patients and develop a plan of action to help them achieve those goals;
- weekly journal sheets that patients can use to track their progress between visits.
For more information on childhood obesity, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention site.