- Find a Plan
- Find a Doctor
- IBX App
- IBX Wire
- Get Connected
- Manage Your Account
- Payment Options
- Health News
- Wellness and Member Perks
- Healthy Families and Kids
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Medical Policy
- Preventive Care Services
- Pharmacy Services
- Specialty Medical Benefit Drugs
- Precertification and Cost-Share Requirements
- Quality Management Program
- Transparency in Coverage
- Health Insurance Basics
Care Management Program
When it comes to managing your health, more isn’t always better. With more doctors and appointments, more questions, and more information to take in, it can sometimes feel like too much.
Get just what you need, when you need it, with the help of Independence Blue Cross’s innovative support programs.
24/7 Health Information Line
Members have round-the-clock access to a Health Coach for all of their health related questions and concerns.
Health Coaches are registered nurses who are available to answer your health-related questions and address your concerns.
What a Health Coach can do for you
Available 24/7, year-round, Health Coaches can help you to:
- Understand your diagnosis.
- Educate yourself about your condition.
- Learn to actively manage your health.
- Make lifestyle choices that can reduce your health risks.
- Learn self-care skills and how to follow your treatment plan.
- Prepare for visits and discussions with your doctor.
- Weigh the pros and cons of important decisions using evidence-based information they can provide.
- Address everyday health concerns.
Contact a Health Coach
To reach a Health Coach, call 1-800-ASK-BLUE.
Condition Management Program
Modern medicine allows doctors to offer you a variety of options for your care. The trick is to figure out what makes sense for you. And that’s what the condition management program is all about.
In addition to offering access to Health Coaches, condition management provides you with resources that can help you get the information and support you need to make the health decisions that are right for you.†
Condition management provides resources and support for the following:
- coronary artery disease (CAD)
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- heart failure
- high risk pregnancy
- inflammatory bowel disease
- Maternity Management
- metabolic syndrome
- musculoskeletal pain
- upper gastrointestinal disease
Baby BluePrints® Maternity Program
If you’re an expectant mother, you want to ensure you have the healthiest pregnancy and delivery possible. Baby BluePrints is our comprehensive, free maternity program that supports pregnant members from the first trimester through delivery to home and continues with the 24/7 availability and phone support of Registered Nurse Health Coaches. When you enroll in Baby BluePrints, a Health Coach will assess your pregnancy, screen for depression, and send you a welcome kit.
High-risk pregnancies will be referred to a Registered Nurse Health Coach specially trained in maternity care for additional assessment and follow up.
To enroll in Baby BluePrints, call 1-800-598-BABY.
Get ongoing help managing your health
If you are facing a serious illness or medical condition, then case management may be right for you.
Independence case management is a free, confidential program offered to all our members. Our case managers, referred to as Health Coaches, are registered nurses and social workers who pair their occupational expertise with knowledge of Independence benefits to offer you support and guidance in dealing with your complex health concerns.
What a Health Coach can do for you
Your Health Coach will work with you, your physicians, and your family to ensure your care is on the right track and you’re getting the most out of the covered benefits and resources available to you.
A Health Coach can help you to:
- understand your condition and current health status;
- learn skills to keep yourself as healthy as possible;
- learn about your medications;
- manage your symptoms and side effects of treatments;
- stay on track with your health care provider’s plan of care;
- transition between the hospital and home;
- cope with the emotional impact of your illness or condition;
- navigate the health care system;
- refer you to other plan programs or benefits-related resources available to you such as nutrition counseling or mental health services;
- find support groups and community resources.
Getting started with case management
Most often our Health Coaches will reach out to you by telephone or letter to offer their assistance. This generally happens after you’ve had a hospital or rehabilitation stay.
However, if you feel you need help from a Health Coach about a health-related issue, call 1-800-ASK-BLUE and leave a message. A Health Coach will return your call as soon as possible.
† Condition Management is available at no cost to most members. Please refer to your member materials for the terms, limitations, and exclusions of your health care coverage, or call Customer Service at the number on the back of your medical ID card to find out if you are eligible.