Frequently Asked QuestionsEssential Health Benefits
1. What are Essential Health Benefits?
Essential Health Benefits are a set of health care service categories that must be covered by certain health insurance plans starting in 2014 in order to comply with the ACA. In general, they are:
- Preventive care visits
- Screenings, such as mammograms and other cancer screenings
- Maternity care
- Newborn care
- Pediatric care
- Emergency and hospital care
- Laboratory services
- Mental health services, including substance abuse
2. Does the law affect preventive health services?
Insurers will cover 100 percent of the cost of many preventive services, such as wellness visits, immunizations, screenings for cancer, and other services. That means you will not pay any deductible, copayments, or coinsurance for many services that can help you stay healthy.