International Students (F1 and J1 Visa Status)
International students’ health insurance reference material.
Temple University requires all International students in Nonimmigrant student (F1 or J1) status to maintain health insurance that meets certain minimum standards as determined by the U.S. Department of State. The minimum health insurance coverage as determined by the Department of State is as follows:
- a maximum deductible of U.S. $500 per accident or illness;
- payment of at least 75 percent of covered expenses;
- medical benefits of at least U.S. $50,000 per accident or illness;
- repatriation benefits of at least U.S. $7,500;
- medical evacuation benefits of at least U.S. $10,000.
As an International student, you may enroll in any of three plans offered by the University: the Independence Blue Cross Basic Personal Choice® PPO plan, Keystone POS High Option plan, and Keystone POS Low Option plan. You may also elect not to enroll in either plan and provide certification of “outside” health insurance.
If you elect not to enroll in any of the school-sponsored plans, you must complete the Certification of “outside” Health Insurance Coverage form. The Certification form must be completed online via this website during open enrollment; otherwise you will be automatically enrolled in a single Basic Personal Choice PPO health insurance plan. You will be responsible for paying the single monthly premium of $204.08 directly to Independence Blue Cross. The monthly premium payments are due effective September 1, 2012 through August 1, 2013.
You have the following options for insurance:
- enroll in Basic Personal Choice PPO;
- enroll in the Keystone POS High Option;
- enroll in Keystone POS Low Option;
- complete a Certification of “outside” Health Insurance Coverage form.
If you elect any type of coverage during the Open Enrollment period, you will automatically be charged the monthly premium and a bill will be sent to your address provided during the Open Enrollment process. You will be responsible for paying the monthly premium directly to Independence Blue Cross.
If you lose your “outside” health insurance coverage for any reason, you must contact the Temple University Benefits office immediately at 215-926-2270 to obtain coverage.